My name is John. I'm a 40-ish software engineering manager living with my wife, kids, and dog in Orlando, FL, where I work for the FAANG you hate the most. I enjoy long walks, swinging kettlebells, and the occassional glass of whiskey. I am far too emotionally invested in sports. I have a résumé, am somewhat active on Twitter, and check my email sometimes.
- Visitando la playa con Charlie. Have you been or will you be going to a beach this summer? .
- Foolproof baked chicken breasts. These work every time, and are easy enough to make in a large batch and have over several days. .
- Envy, hatred, and propaganda. Why is propaganda so much more successful when it stirs up hatred? .
- Cooking pasta in your Instant Pot. Simple rules to follow for perfect pasta. .
- 九月九日忆山东兄弟. A Tang Dynasty poem by Wang Wei that I find myself going back to over and over through the years. .
- AoC 2021 Day Four: Giant Squid. When it’s just you and a giant squid, bingo is better than arm wrestling. .
- AoC 2021 Day Three: Binary Diagnostic. Fun with binary numbers and counting things. .
- AoC 2021 Day Two: Dive!. Piloting our submarine. .
- AoC 2021 Day One: Sonar Sweep. It’s that time of year again! .
- Nothing Gold Can Stay. Thinking about a good friend gone too soon. .